As part of their assessment the students carry out a group research project and are taught tropical plant and animal identification during their stay.
- Studies of hummingbird behaviour and cognition; floral morphology, nectar and pollinator interactions. Studies of mammal diversity and behaviour using camera trap data.
- Studies of bird distributions using observation based data.
- Studies of invertebrate ecology, behaviour and cognition.
- Dung beetle, moth and butterfly diversity projects.
- Studies of frog diversity and forest fragmentation, comparing the biodiversity of frogs across different forest habitats.
- Microbial ecology including antimicrobial strategies of plants: studies of microbial interactions with plants and animals.
- Plant ecology – studies of plant diversity; bromeliad water tanks and anchorage studies.
- Bioacoustics – analysis of animal sound recordings eg. birds, frogs, bats and bush-crickets.